Employee Relations Specialist
Oxfam Novib has a long history in working to beat poverty since 1956. In more than 60 years they have grown into the largest global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together they save, protect and rebuild lives. And they won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
All their work is led by three core values: empowerment, accountability, inclusiveness. For more information on the organization and their values, click here.
Oxfam is a world-wide development organisation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries (10.000 employees).
Working at Oxfam Novib is so much more than just a job. As an Oxfam Novib employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 20 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries. As part of a global movement for change, they are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
Oxfam works with thousands of partners in countries around the world, and employ staff in a wide variety of posts. They work directly with communities and seek to influence the powerful to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Oxfam Netherlands (HQ The Hague, 350 employees) , is one of the 19 affilities and responsible for 13 countries.
The HR department has recently been restructured. With a new HR Director and a team of 8 HR colleagues, a modern HR vision and policy can be built. In addition to a large diversity of projects, one of the most important HR themes is employee engagement and – commitment.
As an Employee Relations Specialist you ensure the fair and consistent treatment to all employees and be the custodian of Oxfam’s Code of Conduct.
You will be responsible for handling complex staffing matters (e.g. safeguarding) and actively support senior management in improving the working environment. This includes taking the lead on health and safety processes and being the main contact point for the Integrity Lead within the HR Unit. All outsourcing, settlement agreements and dismissal cases, mediation and (team) intervention will also be part of your work. You will provide clear guidance on discipline and grievance procedures in adherence to Code of Conduct and play the lead role in complex disciplinary cases. You will engage regularly with the Board of Directors and the Works Council of Oxfam Novib to garner inputs into how to improve employee relations.
The ideal candidate has experience in a diversity of employment law matters and has worked in international settings or organizations and in cross-functional projects and teams. He/she has a business mindset and is able to prioritize, effectively and efficiently, around multiple needs in a complex environment.
An inspiring professional with a business wise mentality and sparring partner for the HR Director. Someone who connects and can contribute to the engagement within the organization. The Employee Relations specialist is a strong communicator with proven track record of successfully leading high valuable and visible HR challenges and changes to a successful and sustainable result.
- A master degree in labor law;
- Over 6 years’ experience in a similar Employee Relations position, in a complex international environment, preferably in the INGO sector;
- A profound level of expertise in respect of Dutch labour law, and some experience in the frameworks governing work in some of the countries where Oxfam Novib is leading;
- Proven experience in mediation and interventions in high level HR related conflicts;
- Significant experience in an international setting with a diverse workforce;
- Fluency in English and Dutch are essential;
- Willing and able to travel and work outside the Netherlands.
- A collaborative partner, with a passion for creative conflict resolution and a proven talent for negotiation;
- A sparring partner for senior level management;
- Able to articulate complex issues in a more simple way;
- Able to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team;
- Strategic thinker who is able to influence;
- Take decisions easily;
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to their donors. The position is based in The Hague, The Netherlands.