with managerial responsibilities
Oxfam has a long history of working to beat poverty since 1956. In more than 60 years they have grown into the largest global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together they save, protect and rebuild lives. And they won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
All their work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability & Inclusiveness.
Oxfam is a world-wide development organization of 20 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries (10.000 employees).
Working at Oxfam is so much more than just a job. As an Oxfam employee, you are part of a global movement for change, that aims to put an end world poverty and injustice.
Oxfam works with thousands of partners in countries around the world and employs staff in a wide variety of posts. They work directly with communities and seek to influence the powerful to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Oxfam Novib, is one of the 20 affiliates and responsible for 13 countries. The Quality, Finance & Control unit (QFC) consists of 31 employees and is responsible for Oxfam Novib’s group financial planning and control, financial administration, business control, business support & procurement, quality management, and internal audit. To strengthen the team, Oxfam Novib wants to get in contact with a Financial Controller with managerial responsibilities.
As Financial Controller you are part of the QFC unit and coordinate the Financial Control activities of Oxfam Novib. In this role, you are responsible for the day-to-day management of the Business Controllers and Financial Administrators (10 fte), and you will work closely with the Group Control Specialists. As Financial Controller, your main objective is to set and maintain a proper financial control framework for Oxfam Novib. You do this by delivering on the underlying processes and procedures, and by implementing continuous improvement practices with the aim to embed financial management and control practices throughout the organization. The position of Financial Controller is a hands-on role. You combine your knowledge and experience on financial management and control with the management of your team. Their (and your) responsibilities are to deliver on agreed objectives, on time and with high quality. You will report to the Manager QFC.
The ideal candidate is an experienced financial controller or accounting professional and has worked in international settings or organizations. He/she is smart, very eager to learn and willing to develop his/herself as an inspiring manager, leading to outstanding results and continuous improvement of processes and procedures.
An inspiring professional with a business-wise mentality and sparring partner for the Manager QFC, Country Directors, Regional Directors, and the COO. Someone who connects and knows/feels responsible for what is needed to achieve outstanding results.
- A bachelor or master (HBO/WO) in business administration, finance or accountancy
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the area of Finance and Control/accounting
- Work experience at a project-oriented international organization, preferably small or medium-sized
- Knowledge and experience in financial management (administration) and control
- Experience with financial control framework
- Experience with making financial statements
- Experience with ERP implementation (familiar with SAP would be very nice)
- Experience with implementing continuous improvement
- Experience with tax rules in the Netherlands for national and cross-border transactions
- Preferably experience with leading or coordinating a team of the project, or have the potential to grow into it
- Fluent in English and preferably fluent in Dutch as well
- Able to communicate complex issues in a very clear and simple way to internal and external stakeholders at different levels (verbally and in writing)
- Business-minded and with the ability to work under pressure
- A quick adapter and great in keeping an overview
- A solid personality with persuasiveness
- Eager in getting things done, energetic, go-getter
- Empathic, easily approachable, open and nice to work with
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to their donors. The position is based in The Hague, The Netherlands.
CONTACTPERSOON LYNCWISE EXECUTIVE SEARCH & INTERIM