MSF is an international, independent medical humanitarian organisation of more than 67,000 people. They provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. They are a non-profit, self-governed, member-based organisation.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. The ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (OCA) is a partnership that is composed of the partners MSF-Canada, MSF-Germany, MSF-SARA, MSF-Sweden, MSF-Holland, and MSF-United Kingdom. MSF-OCA operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries with more than 11,000 staff. The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 400 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
Public Health department
The OCA Public Health Department (PHD) is a diverse multi-disciplinary team of specialists and health advisors working across the OCA partnership. Health advisors are currently located in Amsterdam and Berlin and are integrated into the operational desks. Specialists, providing direct support through Mission Medical Support Teams (MSTs), research and innovation management, and within project teams, are currently dispersed across Amsterdam, Berlin, and the Manson Unit in London. The purpose of the department is to provide medical leadership and direction for MSF-OCA, to contribute to the MSF social mission. This is achieved through:
- Ensuring organisational medical priorities for MSF-OCA are translated into multi-year medical operational strategies
- Providing direct field support (strategic, implementation, and quality assurance) to ensure all missions deliver safe, effective, and responsive medical programming
- Setting norms and standards through their evidence-based policies and monitoring implementation
- Shaping operational research agendas and stimulating the development, translation, and dissemination of knowledge
- Using their experience, data, and research to be a catalyst for change
- Equipping the organisation to meet the needs of future patients and the medical challenges of tomorrow
As Medical Director, you will lead the senior leadership team of managers in the OCA PHD and report to the Chair of the OCA Management Team (MT). You are a member of the OCA MT and the MSF Holland MT (legal entity of OCA). The main objectives of the position of Medical Director are:
Strategy & Leadership
- OCA organisational medical vision and leadership
- The leadership of the OCA Public health Department
- Together with the Deputy Medical Directors (Amsterdam and London), provide overall leadership and oversight for the functioning and well-being of the OCA PHD
Quality assurance health
- OCA medical operational portfolio composition. As Medical Director you are, in conjunction with the Director of Operations, responsible for the overall composition of the OCA medical operational portfolio
- Quality assurance and improvement of OCA health programming
Cooperation and networking
- You will ensure they continue to foster a collaborative approach that optimises decision-making on the choice, design and implementation of all programs
- You work in close cooperation with the other MSF Medical Directors as well as the other Directors of Operations to improve intersectional coherence and coordination, to increase collaboration, and to optimise resources and functions between the different sections
- You ensure links with the external world through collaborations, allowing the chance to learn from each other and to fill gaps in expertise and know-how
- You are a member of the OCA MT. You are part of the OCA Management Team. You work with your fellow OCA Directors as a real, inclusive, and mutually responsible team, taking ownership of the vision and strategy of the entire organisation and its operations, staff, and resources as a whole
- Collectively, as part of the OCA MT, you are responsible for fostering an inspiring, vibrant, supportive, and professional work environment to enable all staff to thrive and contribute to the delivery of the MSF social mission
- You report hierarchically to the Chair of the OCA Management Team (MT)
- You will report to and be held accountable for by the oversight body from their association, the OCA Council
- You are a member of the MSFH-MT
- You are part of the MSF-Holland Management Team (the legal entity of OCA) and work closely with fellow Directors to take ownership of the vision and strategies for MSF Holland
MSF is looking for
- An inspirational medical leader, with the compassion, motivation, technical competence, and medical vision, to lead a complex, diverse and networked medical department, across multiple locations,
- Proven track record of leading significant organisational change(s).
- Master of Public Health, international public health specialisation, or similar postgraduate qualification, and at least 4 years humanitarian-medical field experience with MSF or a comparable organisation.
- Strong, proven skills in management, leadership qualities, and at least 4 years of senior medical/health management experience.
- Proven expertise in strategic and conceptual thinking, policy development, financial and human resource management, planning, and monitoring of results.
- Knowledge of recent developments in the field of humanitarian relief and international public health and tropical medicine.
- Proven affinity with advocacy, and experience with field research in resource-poor settings.
- Good analytical and communication skills in English (oral and written communication). French is highly preferred.
- You must be willing to live and work in Amsterdam and be prepared to spend approximately 20% of your time on work-related travel.
- A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organisation
- A Dutch employment contract from 1 January 2021, based on 40 hours per week. The contract is for three years with a renewal option
- A gross monthly salary of a minimum of € 6,487 and a maximum of € 9,264 for a full-time appointment based on relevant work experience
- Attractive secondary benefits (premium-free pension, 30 holidays)
- At Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Artsen zonder Grenzen, they are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of their employees. Their diversity fuels their innovation and connects them closer to their beneficiaries and the communities in which they work. MSF welcomes applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics
Lyncwise Executive Search & Interim in Hilversum has been given the exclusive assignment to fill this vacant position. After an interview with Annelien Jordense and/or Wendy Witteveen from Lyncwise, it is decided which candidates to nominate. MSF decides which candidates are going to be invited for a first interview. An assessment and reference check can be part of the procedure.
Please apply before 31 October