Properties Project Manager
FedEx Express invented express distribution and is the industry’s global leader, providing rapid, reliable, time-definite delivery to more than 220 countries and territories, connecting markets that comprise more than 90 percent of the world’s gross domestic product within one to three business days. Unmatched air route authorities and transportation infrastructure, combined with leading-edge information technologies, make FedEx Express the world’s largest express transportation company, providing fast and reliable services for more than 3.6 million shipments each business day.
After FedEx acquired TNT Express back in 2016, the world’s largest air express network and an unparalleled European road network are now combined reshaping the global transportation and logistics industry. In this integration program the strengths of both companies are combined into one FedEx network.
As part of the Central planning & Engineering (P&E) properties team, you will be responsible of the execution of projects throughout Europe. The projects can vary from small improvements projects to a local station, to execute the construction of a completely new, state-of-the-art, hub which serves several countries throughout Europe. The Engineers of the Central P&E Properties team will guide/execute several projects at the same time, usually in different stages of the project. Although led from the Central team, requirements usually come from the local teams and in most cases, local contractors will execute portions of the work in combination with global suppliers. Making it vital for the Project Engineer to find balance between local regulations, global FedEx/TNT requirements and requirements issued by the local team, and in the meantime run the project on time, on schedule and compliant with company policy.
Projects generally include, but are not limited to, site development, building construction and material handling systems across Europe. A project Engineer is accountable for ensuring assigned projects are developed and delivered to meet network plan requirements, as well as scope, schedule, budget and quality requirements from end-to-end, A project Engineers plans, directs, controls, and implements the engineering, construction, and start-up of various operating facilities and complex material handling systems. He manages and coordinates all activities to successfully meet the company’s plans and targets on capacity-related projects throughout Europe in several countries at the same time.
We offer the opportunity to be a member of the P&E Properties team and work on some of the most important projects and initiatives within the new combined entity of FedEx and TNT.
- Working under general direction, leads multiple high impact or complex engineering and construction / material handling related projects or initiatives. Almost all projects will have a Real Estate and a construction aspect to them.
- Manages schedules, resources, and budgets on multiple construction and material handling projects throughout Europe including, but not limited to, engineering design, scope of work, procurement, installation, start-up, training, maintenance, documentation, contract management, invoicing and all other project activities.
- Monitors, reports and ensures all aspects of a project are meeting its contract requirements.
- Expected to work to tight and/or changing timeframes in order to meet critical business plan deadlines. Develops and manages project schedules to meet required timeframes and develops contingency plans to mitigate any schedule delays.
- Coordinates local and global FedEx teams, local and global suppliers, global and local legislators within a project.
- Develops and manages individual capital and expense budgets for assigned projects and initiatives; Prepares project budget requests and manages associated funds, ensuring compliance and addressing variances and other budget concerns. Proactively manages projects to attain established financial goals.
- Works with procurement, Legal and other functional areas to bid and contract the required work.
- Actively uses the FedEx global quality system to improve processes, procedures and capabilities as the FedEx / TNT integration moves forward.
- Resolves project issues with internal customers and suppliers.
- Works to form solid business relationships with key suppliers to ensure strategic alignment, value engineering, and process innovation in the areas of facility construction and material handling integration.
- Works to form solid business relationships with key internal stakeholders, customers and suppliers to facilitate project execution.
- Ensures projects are safe, code compliant and to company requirements.
- Travel throughout Europe to visit construction-sites, have meetings with developers, contractors and local colleagues on a regular basis (approx. 10% of the time).
Educational and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field required; Masters in engineering or an MBA preferred.
- Ten (10) years of experience required in Engineering or Project Management, Construction Management related (preferred), or related area.
- Time management and organizational skills necessary to manage multiple projects, appropriately prioritize workload, plan resources to meet deadlines and goals, and respond to day-to-day functional needs.
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to explain complex technical and/or confidential information.
- Ability to communicate and present up to the MD / VP level within the organization using both written and verbal skills in native and English language.
- Ability to anticipate and identify problems and use sound judgment and fact-based analysis to develop effective and efficient solutions.
- The ability to make sound tactical decisions.
- Working knowledge of critical path scheduling methodology.
- Stakeholder management experience.
- Mentality to cooperate with different cultures throughout Europe, preferably mastering (the basics of) at least 2 additional European languages besides English.