Cementbouw in the Netherlands and VVM in Belgium are part of CRH, a leading global diversified building materials group employing over 85,000 people at 3,600 locations worldwide and generating sales of €26.8 billion in 2018.
The business spans 32 countries and serves all segments of construction industry demand.
The Group’s major businesses are in Europe and North Americas, and it has growing positions in Asia and South America. Operations focus on three closely related core businesses: primary materials, value-added building products and building materials distribution.
CRH provides building materials across the spectrum of the construction industry – from building foundations to frame and roofing, to fitting out the interior space and improving the exterior environment, on site works and infrastructural projects, CRH’s materials and products are used extensively.
In the Benelux CRH acquired Cementbouw fully in 2007 and VVM in 2011 and integrated these two companies in its European Heavyside Division.
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUAQ1eDYrOU&feature=youtu.be for a short introduction video of Cementbouw and VVM.
Cementbouw and VVM
Cementbouw and VVM together form a Benelux organization and are part of the Europe Heavyside Divison, that comprises aggregates, cement, lime, concrete products operations and asphalt.
These materials are used extensively in a wide range of construction projects from major public infrastructure, to commercial buildings and residential structures.
Employees: approx. 350
4 main locations: Cruquius (head-office of CB/VVM) and Wanssum (head-office of the Binding Agents division) in The Netherlands ; Antwerp and Rieme (close to Ghent) in Belgium.
Cementbouw b.v. is a major Dutch trader in cement, alternative binders, aggregates and secondary materials (recycling) and is one of the leading ready mixed concrete producers in the Netherlands. It has also a production facility of marine sand close to Ghent. Cementbouw Binding Agents – its cement and alternative binders division – is a major player in the Dutch cement trading and distribution market and is also one of the leading suppliers of fly-ash in the Netherlands. It offers a wide range of products and has its own means of transportation.
In Belgium, VVM n.v. has been a member of CRH since 2011. The company consists of two grinding plants in Antwerp and Rieme (near Ghent) and produces and supplies all standard types of cements required by the Belgium market.
From these 2 locations, VVM transports every day cement to its clients in the Benelux and France by silo trucks and has become a major player of the Belgian construction market over the last years.
Cement logistics organization
Cementbouw Logistics has its own fleet of cement trucks and trailers and a team of own drivers and use several subcontracted trucks (co-makers) as well as occasional charters.
The Manager Transport manages a team in 3 different departments over various locations:
- Means of Transport, Assets & Maintenance
- Team of Drivers
- Planning in both The Netherlands & Belgium
The Manager Transport is part of the Binding Agents division Management Team.
In order to help its logistics division to embrace several new challenges (market, organization …) and to reach the next levels in terms of productivity and profitability, Cementbouw/VVM is looking for a new Manager Transport.
The Manager Transport is responsible for the setting-up and the daily implementation of the cement and binders logistics strategy of Cementbouw and VVM.
Based on his solid experience in logistics and appropriate KPIs that he needs to define, he operates the division in the most safe, efficient and profitable way. He helps the sales department to continuously optimize the transport flows for its customers. He acts as a service provider for the company in the continuity to the cement sales; not in a standalone approach.
He ensures the implementation of all Corporate policies within his department and has a special focus on Health and Safety acting himself as a role model.
Responsible for the group of drivers from 3 different cultures (Dutch, Wallonian and Flemish), he recruits, motivates, trains and retains them to ensure the sustainability of the organization.
He sets the right balance between the contracted trucks and the own assets that he needs to properly maintain in a cost-effective way.
He ensures a proper cooperation with the JV partners and manages more generally the relationships with all the department stakeholders.
Together with his colleagues of the Binding Agents Management Team, he actively contributes to the strategic and operational decisions of the division.
Finally, he acts as an open-minded and strongly driven change manager who helps his team succeeding in the face of coming logistic challenges.
- Sets-up and implements cement and binders logistics strategy in the most safe, efficient and profitable way.
- Getting things done. Strong execution power.
- Build and maintain a relation with Management Team members and the different disciplines and bridge the gap between different departments and cultures.
- Drive change and transformation and facilitate his team to remain connected with these changes.
- Train planning team and drivers to understand and accept new systems.
- Interface with all branches both in Belgium and The Netherlands.
- The Manager Transport needs to divide his or her time between the two main locations Wanssum and Antwerp. Sleep-over is being facilitated if necessary.
- Masters or bachelor’s degree (Business Administration or Transportation/Logistics).
- At least 10 years of fleet management or transport management experience in the industry or logistics services. Understands all logistics stakes and the total costs along the supply chain.
- Senior manager “by nature”: strong organizational, people management and leadership skills.
- Ability to involve and guide people in changes in the organization and realize operational impact.
- Strong execution skills.
- Able to develop a business plan with key metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively across different organizational levels.
- Ability to understand different cultures and to act accordingly.
- IT savvy.
- Experienced in planning tools and other transport related applications.
- Has a structured, data-driven and fact-based way of working.
- Strong personality, excellent listener and service-minded at the same time.
- Flexible, yet firm in pursuing business goals.
- Effective stakeholder management skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and hands-on mentality.
- Familiarity with transportation contracts and the negotiation of terms and conditions.
- In possession of the “certificate of professional competence for the transport of goods” (“getuigschrift van vakbekwaamheid voor het vervoer van goederen”).
- Knowledge of the safety practices and methods in driving and maintaining vehicles.
- Fluency in Dutch, English and also preferably French and German