Manager Real Estate
FedEx Express invented express distribution and is the industry’s global leader, providing rapid, reliable, time-definite delivery to more than 220 countries and territories, connecting markets that comprise more than 90 percent of the world’s gross domestic product within one to three business days. Unmatched air route authorities and transportation infrastructure, combined with leading-edge information technologies, make FedEx Express the world’s largest express transportation company, providing fast and reliable services for more than 3.6 million shipments each business day.
After FedEx acquired TNT Express back in 2016, the world’s largest air express network and an unparalleled European road network are now combined reshaping the global transportation and logistics industry. In this integration program, the strengths of both companies are combined into one FedEx network.
As part of the Planning & Engineering (P&E) Properties & Real Estate Management team, you will be responsible for various aspects of the real estate portfolio while overseeing a team of approx. 10 staff across the assigned countries. Throughout Europe, FedEx has a portfolio of over 1,000 facilities.
The Manager helps establish and is responsible to execute strategic direction for the organization’s real estate function and will be specifically focused on the FedEx/TNT real estate portfolio in the Benelux as well as the overall office portfolio in Europe. Responsibilities include portfolio management, real estate acquisitions and disposition efforts including purchases, leases (including build-to-suit agreements) or lease renewals focusing on both immediate and long-term needs, safeguarding and preserving the value of real estate assets, developing and maintaining productive relationships with landlords and enforcing lease terms as may be necessary to protect Company interests.
They offer a challenging position at the heart of the integration in an international and dynamic working environment, based at the FedEx Express International Headquarters in Hoofddorp, Netherlands.
- Management responsibilities include, but are not limited to hiring, terminations, coaching, skill development, recognition and rewards, performance management and staff productivity.
- Develops, motivates & manages a team of Real Estate Professionals and ensures they have the competency to deliver the evolving business requirements.
- Plans and organizes, staffs, directs and controls the day to day operations of the department. Develops and implements policies and programs as necessary.
- Develops and manages the department, rent expense, and capital budget. Ensures compliance and addresses variances and other budget concerns.
- Oversees project schedules, including working collaboratively with multiple cross-functional teams such as engineering and legal, to ensure all real estate activities are completed within budget and time to meet operating deadlines.
- Oversees and evaluates the real estate business deal for feasibility including cost justification while ensuring the integrity of the bid process.
- Reviews funding proposals for completeness and accuracy. Ensures that the project will conform to company construction standards and will be completed within authorized budget limits.
- Oversees modification of leases incorporating provisions meeting company long term objectives including terms that require landlords to substantiate requests for payment of the non-rent lease-related expense.
- Maintains productive relationships with vendors, brokers, and developers. Keeps in close contact to ensure that their activities remain aligned with Departmental priorities.
- Review leases and other real estate documents for conformance to funding authorizations.
- Mediates disputes relating to leases, purchase agreements and construction contracts. Work with Legal Counsel and Facilities to achieve a result that is in the best interest of the Company.
- Takes responsibility for Lease Administration and works collaboratively with the Accounting group and provides leverage when needed to secure landlord cooperation on requests for substantiation of costs and accounting detail.
- Coordinates with the FedEx Tax group to ensure projects are leveraged to take advance of available incentive programs.
- Ensure that projects meet all applicable land use and environmental laws; work closely with Legal and Environmental Groups on all projects.
Educational and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Business, Engineering, or related area required; Master’s degree in Real Estate, Business Administration or related area preferred.
- Ten (10) years experience in commercial and/or industrial real estate including site selection, negotiation, and preparation of project proposals or related area. Three (3) years management experience is preferred; significant experience in a project management capacity coordinating complex real estate transactions in major European markets preferred.
- Fluent English, verbal and written communication skills necessary to explain complex and/or confidential information
- The ability to make sound strategic and tactical decisions where established guidelines may not exist
- Ability to establish relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Presentation-making skills necessary to facilitate training and/or deliver informational sessions to groups and/or individuals
- Knowledge of industrial real estate transactions, leasing, and acquisition, disposition of a real estate, property management, and project management
- Knowledge of construction, site development, and/ or construction designs documents
- Software skills, including use of Microsoft Office software and web-based applications
- Willingness to travel regularly and internationally